Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Love Letter: I loved you since I was 17, and you're still the one I want for life.

holding hands
Papa and I <3
holding hands
a photo which I took from our Singapore's zoo :)

A Love Letter for my one and only

To My Dearest One,

So.. in a blink of an eye, it has been 9 years since we've been together. Honestly, I don't know and can't believe how long we've been together. It really doesn't seem that long! I've known you since I was 17, and you are the best person I've ever known in my life.

I still remember the feeling I had when I met you for the first time. I remembered thinking how good-looking you were (Haha!) and that you had the same bump on the nose as me! I got really excited, because we had the same type of nose. Haha. We chatted and chatted throughout the night/date, and before we knew it, it was time to return home. Before I went to bed that night, I knew in my heart that you were different. You were someone special.

In the next few months which turned into years, you changed my life in so many ways I could never imagine. Without you, I would still be that frog living in a well. You were the first person who showed me how to let loose and be free, and just to enjoy life. I was that typical studious student, studying day and night, until I met you. You taught me to enjoy life just a little bit more. You were the first person who brought me to a proper restaurant for lunch and dinner, the first person who brought me to a pub and club, the first person who told me 'there's more to life than just books and books'.

Naturally, living in a bookworm kinda family, my mother went mad when she knew that I was dating you. She told me to find another man. But, being our stubborn and so-in-love selves, we didn't care. I couldn't wait to see you and when we did, we had so much fun and joy. You made me laugh so much whenever we were together. We could be our silly and crazy selves, and we knew it was ok. We didn't need to act or pretend to be interested or happy together. Even if there was silence between us, it still felt comfortable. It was a comfortable silence which warmed my heart, knowing there's a man who loves me and enjoys being with me for who I am.

Throughout the first few years of being together, we went through lots of up and downs. There were times when we fought, quarrelled and said hurtful words at each other (ok, it's more like me who said those words to you.. I'm so sorry!). But at the end of every day, we would reconcile and apologise to each other. There was never a day, even up till today, where we would go to bed and still be angry at each other. We never brought hate and resentment to our bed, and we definitely did not carry it with us till the next day.

After 4 years of being together, we welcomed a little boy in our lives. Seeing how much you love our child  makes me love you so much more. Romance used to be cute little gifts, surprises and such, and after having our child, our concept of romance changed. Romance is now about looking after and playing with our boy so that I can have that 2 hours extra of much-needed sleep in the morning, or assuring me that everything is ok when I get so tired and stressed out from looking after our child. And that is better than any gift or money can buy.

You took on the role of being a father so naturally and effortlessly, and there is never one time when I see you get tired or stressed out from taking care of our little one. Raising up a child would never have been easy without you by my side. You're an adventurous father, who teaches Shayne so much stuff about the world out there, and Shayne is definitely lucky to have you as his dad. You're an awesome father, you're so much more than you give yourself credit for.

These 9 years with you has been amazing, you taught me so much more about myself that you will ever know. You are the first man I've ever fell in love with (I grew up without a father, so you're literally, really the first man I've ever loved), and you will be the last man I will ever love in my life. Every night before I sleep, I tell myself how blessed I am to have you by my side. Even after all these years, I am still completely and deeply in love with you. I hope this feeling will never go away, and I hope we'll be together forever, still holding hands and loving one another in our golden years.

I love you more than you'll ever know, and may our love last a lifetime.


Love,
Your one and only.

love photo

4 comments:

  1. This is so lovely - happy Valentine's Day to you & your sweet family Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet letter :)
    Hope y'all have a good V-day! Woot for 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This letter is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comment!

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...