Decided to write a quick post for my boys before 2015 ends, and before their baby sister is born into the world! She's due on the 1st week of Feb 2016. :) Nonetheless, here are the 10 things I want my sons to know...
1. Be kind. To each other and to yourself. Smile and be generous. Be polite and have manners.
2. Take responsibility for your actions. This is one of the toughest things to do in life and I know it can be difficult (and humbling) to admit you have made a mistake. That you have done something wrong or hurt someone. But being able to admit that you're in the wrong is one of the keys to being a strong, brave person. Remember, it’s impossible to become a better person without first accepting responsibility for your own actions.
3. Find something to do that you’re passionate about. Don't ever lose that sparkle and zest for life. I hope both of you will continue to find joy in your every day lives, no matter how young or old you may be.
4. “You don’t have to attend every fight you’re invited to.” — James Lehman. Remember this saying for life. You're not a wimp just because you've walked away. Sometimes it takes much more courage to walk away — to control your emotions and to not fight at all — than it does to throw a punch or say something hurtful and cruel. You have the ability to decide for yourself whether to join a fight. You have the power not to join it, as well.
5. Being popular is not the same thing as having true friends. True friends are the people who will be there for you no matter what, and who care about what happens to you. They’re happy when good things happen to you and listen to you when you’re going through a tough time. Being popular might feel good, but it’s fleeting and never lasts. Good friends will be with you for a lifetime.
6. Your uniqueness is a strength. Maybe you don’t like the same things as everyone else does and that's okay. Keep doing what you love to do. Don't succumb into peer pressure or follow the crowd/trend just because you want to feel accepted. What makes you unique is also what will give you strength in life.
7. Don't ever give up. There will be all kinds of challenges in your life, but I hope you'll never ever give up. There are many times when I've felt like giving up, but sharing my worries with your father and my siblings makes it much easier. Talk to each other, that's the reason why your brother is there for you.
8. Life is not always a bed of roses. Good results and relationships don't just happen overnight. They take lots of time, effort, commitment, patience and hard work.
9. Don’t be afraid to hug. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hugs! Boys (or men) who are able to hug and show affection are also strong and comfortable in their own skins.
10. Above all, love each other deeply. <3
|Good night, my sweethearts <3|